History of St Anne's School
About Our School…………………
The boy’s school was founded by the National Society in 1813 and the girls were introduced in 1850! It was called Abbey National School. In 1864 it became known as the Castle Hill Infant School and had 66 girls and 101 boys. In 1895 the school opened on Newcastle Avenue and belonged to the Priory Church. In 1925 the school name was changed to St Anne’s Church of England Infant and Junior School.
In 1971 the Infant Department was moved to its present site behind St Anne’s Church, on Harrington Street, as phase one of a plan to rebuild the whole school.
In 1991 the Junior Department was moved to the present site to complete the rebuilding of the school. The funding for the new junior building was provided entirely by the Church.
What is a Church School?
Church of England schools have deep roots in our education system; they were amongst the first to be established. Later, when the state took over responsibility of educating the young, Church Schools continued to make their own contribution as an integral part of state education.
In voluntary aided schools, like St Anne's, the majority of governors are appointed by the Church and therefore Aided status enables the governors to select a Christian Head Teacher and, wherever possible, a Christian staff. The governors of a Church School also have responsibility for religious education, the admission of children, the upkeep of the outside of the buildings, and for the general conduct and curriculum of the school. In all other aspects Church schools are financed and function as county schools within the education authority.
At our local level the concept of 'church school' is a very real one in which St Anne's Church takes its responsibilities to our children very seriously. There are many practical links between church and school, indeed members of the school staff and retired teachers from St Anne's worship in the Church. Other members of the staff also worship at their own local parish churches. The school is occasionally involved in family services on Sunday and a number of our children are members of the Cubs, Brownies, Scouts, Guides and Light Club.
Our children and parents are always invited to be involvedwith the various church events and 'fairs'. The priest in charge, Simon Cash and his curate, Paddy McBain come into school on a weekly basis to lead collective worship and the school attends Church. On a spiritual level we in school are aware of the prayers said and the sincere love and care that members of the church have for our children.